I recently read an article by John Ortberg called, “Higher Stakes Friendships.” He talked about “five rules of friendship” a group of guys used as guidelines for their conversations. The “five rules”:
- We can ask anything, no holds barred.
- If you answer, you must tell the truth, as much as you know it.
- If you don’t answer, you must say why you won’t or can’t answer.
- Everything that is said to each other will be held in absolute confidence.
- We will make absolutely no judgments of each other.
I think these 5 rules are powerful. The only thing I would want to add is whilst we won’t make judgments on each other, the importance of speaking truth into one another’s lives. I am glad that I have some guys who I can and do have these kind of conversations with.
I just wanted to encourage you to chase after these higher stakes friendships.