Last term in our youth work we used Krish Kandiah’s Dysciples: Why I Fall Asleep When I Pray and Twelve Other Discipleship Dysfunctions, adapting each of the chapters as a short talk and response. With chapters that include:
- Why I feel I am going nowhere
- Why I shout at God
- Why I won’t step out of my comfort zone
- Why I struggle with Jesus’ teaching
- Why I’ve heard it all before
- Why I feel such a hypocrite
- Why God seems out of reach
- Why I can’t move mountains
- Why I want to be the best
- Why my mind wanders during communion
- Why I fall asleep when I pray
- Why I can’t tell people about Jesus
- Why I could never be a missionary
The young people I work with really related to a lot of these feelings and frustrations. The short chapters were easy for a number of our younger leaders to take a topic and share some of the faith journey alongside Krish’s theological thinking with the young people. It seemed to get a number of the young people really thinking and wrestling with these issues.
I thoroughly recommend this book.