Council for Internet Safety in the UK
The government has announced plans to establish a new UK Council for Internet Safety (UKCIS), which will extend the scope of the current UK Council for Child Internet Safety (UKCCIS). It will be a new collaborative forum through which government, the tech community and the third sector work together to ensure the UK is the safest place in the world to be online.
Priority areas of focus for the council will include:
- online harm experienced by children such as cyberbullying and sexual exploitation;
- radicalisation and extremism;
- violence against women and girls;
- hate crime and hate speech;
- and forms of discrimination against groups protected under the Equality Act.
The Government has opened the application process to appoint members of the UKCIS Executive Board (the closing date is 03 September 2018).