Key points from the small groups:
- Tone on the internet can often be unhelpfully aggressive
- Still an interest on elitism as not everyone has access to internet or devices.
- Difference of digital v broadcast
- Is social media going to change the church
- Children looking for participation models and critiquing evidence and sources – who do we do this
- How there are some parts of technology that has been well embraced in churches and others bit not so well embraced – e.g. subtitling for worship and video not happening.
- Who owns inclusion in the church and own this? This requires the need to be organised.
Some big comments and threads:
- People uses the medium to ram home the old message, the debate between command and control people and discipleship and empowerment people is a big debate which social media sit sin the middle of.
- Has the church ever understood what participation is – for all adults we are still in broadcast church even though we understand that learning styles are critical.
- Multi-voice church recommended – are we returning to a more participative method.
- It is both and – broadcast is when we say Jesus is Lord, and the participation is discipleship – we’ve focussed on evangelism in the last few hundred years but don’t shift too far so that we throw the baby out with the bath water and forget evangelism due to discipleship.