Funny stories from around the world
Some more funny and random headlines from around the world:
- Uzbek TV urges respect for parents: Uzbek state-run TV calls on people to be polite to their parents after the president’s daughter took to social media to criticise her mother.
- US psalm book sells for $14.2m: A tiny book of psalms from 1640 becomes the world’s most expensive printed book as it sells at auction in New York for $14.2m (£8.8m).
- Liverpool bid to take Santa title: Thousands of people dressed as Father Christmas join Liverpool’s annual charity Santa Dash in a bid to take a world record.
- ‘Amazing’ Queen panto photos on sale: Photographs of the Queen on stage in pantomime are among “the most amazing royal archive”, an auctioneer says.
- US football fans ’caused earthquake’: A celebration by football fans in the US city of Seattle grew so loud on Monday evening it registered as a minor earthquake, a research group says.
- Mountie told ‘no pot-smoking in uniform’: A Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer has been told he can’t smoke marijuana while wearing the famous red serge uniform, it’s reported.
- Australia police lose swallowed ring: Police in Australia lose a ring swallowed by a suspect in a jewellery shop theft, amid “gaps” in search procedures.
- Swimmer shaves off ‘jellyfish’ beard: The first man to swim the length of Britain shaves off the beard he grew to protect his face from jellyfish.
- Obama takes selfie at Mandela event: US President Barack Obama, UK Prime Minister David Cameron, and Denmark’s PM Helle Thorning-Schmidt take an impromptu “selfie” at the memorial for Nelson Mandela
- French cafe ‘rude tax’ causes a stir: A French Riviera cafe has created a stir on social media by rewarding their customers with cheaper coffee in return for good manners.
- No armoured car for mafia prosecutor: A leading anti-mafia prosecutor turns down the offer of an armoured car during a major trial in Italy as his bodyguards are issued with bomb-jamming equipment.
- Facebook tourist walks off pier: A Taiwanese tourist is rescued after walking off a pier in the Australian city of Melbourne while checking her Facebook page, police say.
- Google Glass takes photos by winking: Google introduces a new feature to its Google Glass, which allows users to take a photo with a “wink of the eye”.
- Plastic banknotes to start in 2016: Plastic banknotes that can survive a spin in the washing machine are to be brought into circulation by the Bank of England in 2016.
- Man handed £400,000 piracy fine: A 28-year-old man is fined 4.3 million Swedish krona – just over £400,000 – for uploading one film to a torrent-sharing website.
- US man wins raffle for $1m Picasso: A $1m painting by Pablo Picasso has been won by a US man who paid just 100 euros for a ticket in an online charity raffle.