Nothing comes close to this: the Sri Lankan cricket team the Sir Lankan cricket team was attacked by terrorists and several policemen lost their lives.
Other big stories include:
- O’Neill offers disappointed Villa fans thank-you meal: Aston Villa manager Martin O’Neill offers to host dinner for hundreds of fans who flew to Russia to support their team in the Uefa Cup.
- Wenger starts to fret over Europe: Arsene Wenger admits for the first time that Arsenal are in real danger of missing out on qualification for the Champions League – a truly awful season for the Gunners.
- Hiddink retains title ambitions: Guus Hiddink believes Chelsea can still win the Premier League title after Frank Lampard’s late goal clinches a 2-1 win over Wigan at Stamford Bridge.
- Wales & Scots ditch Euro bid: The economic downturn forces Scotland and Wales to ditch plans for a joint bid to host Euro 2016.
- Ben Foster’s iPod-watching raises the bar for Manchester United: Eric Steele, United’s goalkeeping coach, prepared a series of clips of Spurs penalty-takers which Foster watched on his iPod before the shootout.
- Ferguson cools talk of quintuple: Sir Alex Ferguson says he is not thinking about winning five trophies after Man Utd win the Carling Cup by beating Spurs on penalties.
- Milan still sweating on Beckham deal: Milan have denied claims that the club has reached an agreement with Los Angeles Galaxy to keep David Beckham for the remainder of the season.