Liverpool agree Aspas fee

According to reports Liverpool’s bid of £7.7 million has been accepted by Celta Vigo for the transfer of striker Iago Aspas.

Aspas has scored 60 goals in 130 appearances for Celta and was strongly rumored with a move to the Premier League in the January Transfer Window.

The 25 year old scored 12 goals with 6 assist in 33 appearances in La Liga this season, can lead the line, play as a second striker or in a wider role.

Aspas will become Liverpool’s second signing for the summer following the capture of Kolo Toure.

Liverpool complete Kolo Toure signing

kolo toure

Liverpool FC confirmed they will sign Manchester City defender Kolo Toure on a free transfer on July 1. A statement in the official site read:

“Liverpool Football Club can today announce they have agreed a deal in principal with Kolo Toure to join the club on July 1.  The powerful defender will be registered as a Reds player when his current deal with Manchester City expires.”

The Ivorian was out of contract with Manchester City, and Liverpool were rumored to be keen on bringing in some much needed experience in the defensive department after the retirement of Jamie Carragher.

Liverpool will offer Toure a two-year deal as they look to make the defender their first signing of the summer.

The 32 year old was a member of Arsenal’s invincibles side that won the league title in 2004 and was a regular for Manchester City in his first two seasons.  Toure certainly is a world class centre back with more than a decade of Premier league experience. However the 32 year old will be used as a second choice defender, someone who can come in and stabilise panic with his experience during the dying moments of the game.

Liverpool FC: Is Martin Skrtel on his way out of Anfield?

Martin Skrtel

Liverpool FC defender Martin Skrtel has spoken out his frustrations at being benched by Boss Brendan Rodgers in recent weeks.  He admits he does not know the real reason for his recent omission from the starting XI, raising doubts over his future at the Club.

Skrtel has been a regular first team player over the last few seasons also winning the player of the season award last year, but his recent inconsistent form has found himself back on the bench as Jamie Carragher has become first choice partner alongside Daniel Agger.

The 28 year old says his manager told him why he was leaving him out, but claims he doesn’t feel that’s the actual reason for his omission.

He gave me some explanation, but it’s hard to tell if it was the true reason he gave me.  I don’t think it was and think there is something else behind it.  It all happened after our match with Manchester United in the middle of January. We lost 2-1 but I think that particularly in the second half we played very well. Moreover, a lot of sources gave me a good rating. But he [Rodgers] told me we had lost the organization of play in the defensive line and that this would be the reason why I would not play in the following matches.

I don’t know which fixtures he spoke about because we had kept a clean sheet twice in a row and won both matches. Also, we did not disappoint in the game against United.  Anyway, I’m not the type of player who would be chasing the coach and be in his office all the time, asking for explanations why I’m not playing. If the coach wants to tell me something, he will summon me. I would not like to make any unnecessary conflicts.

Skrtel says he is not thinking of leaving “for the present”, but the 28-year-old admits he would have to do so if he was not “kept in the team”:

For three years at Liverpool I was playing in almost every match. I have had various thoughts but certainly I’m not going to make any hot-blooded decision.  I want to be fit as soon as possible and fight for the place in the starting line-up. If the coach should lose interest in keeping me in his team, then we would have to handle it with my agent.

Skrtel certainly is a good defender but his inconsistency has always been a problem in the back four. Liverpool desperately needs to sign some world class defenders to tighten up the defense next season.  Do you think selling the 28 year in the next window will be a good move from Rodgers?

Liverpool FC: Transfer News Latest

Liverpool FC: Transfer News Latest

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has revealed the club is looking forward to bring in “one or two” more signings by the end of January transfer window, having allowed striker Michael Ngoo to join Hearts on loan until the end of the season.

Rodgers told reporters:

“We hope to do some business between now and the end of the month. The owners have been brilliant and supporting.  We’ve got a young player who’ll go out on loan to get some experience but apart from that I don’t expect people [to go]. One or two, maybe, to come in.  We know we still need one or two additions more. The club is doing everything it possible can to assist me in that.”

According to reports the reds are set to complete the signing of Coutinho in the next 24 hours after the player is believed to have told Inter he wants the Liverpool move.  Who else should Liverpool try to sign before the close of the window?

Transfer Rumour: Reds to cut short Nuri Sahin loan deal

Nuri Sahin Liverpool FC

The Reds are reportedly considering bringing an end to Nuri Sahin’s loan spell with the club. The Turkish international joined Liverpool on a season-long loan deal from Real Madrid but has failed to impress, making just seven appearances in the league and scoring one goal. Sahin was also not in the squad for the FA Cup third round victory over Mansfield last weekend which really says it all.

It is understood Liverpool will be able to cancel his loan this month but it is believed will only do so with the player’s and Real Madrid’s agreement.

It is rumoured that the 24-year-old might go on loan to Inter Milan or Borussia Dortmund who are both interested in securing the service of the player.  Dortmund’s director of sport Michael Zorc said recently the Bundesliga club,

“Of course we are following Nuri’s career – he’s one of our lads.  We said to him back then (when he left), if Nuri says that he wants nothing other than to play in Dortmund, then we will deal with the issue.  But it has got to be manageable, and nothing has changed in that regard.”

Sahin clearly has all the talent but seems to lack the hunger to fight for his place. Liverpool simply cannot afford to pay £70,000 a week for a player to have him sit on the bench.  The Reds already have good depth in the midfield department with Steven Gerrard, Jonjo Shelvey, Lucas, Jordan Henderson and Joe Allen and frankly I don’t see a place for Sahin in the starting XI.

What does everyone think of Sahin and how he has performed in a Liverpool shirt this season?

Liverpool FC: Jose Enrique out for six weeks

Jose Enrique

Boss Brendan Rodgers confirmed full back Jose Enrique could be out of action for six weeks with a hamstring tear.

The 26 year old was withdrawn during the Red’s win over Queens Park Rangers last weekend with a hamstring injury but scans now reveal tear in his hamstring which will keep him out of action for at least 6 weeks.

Rodgers said in his Press Conference:

“He has looked fantastic in the games but it looks like he’ll probably be out for up to six weeks with his hamstring.  It’s a shame because in the game he felt nothing. Sometimes you can enter the games and be tight and stiff. He felt great, and even within the game.”

It remains to be seen if Liverpool will be tempted to look at signing another left back this transfer window or it could be time to give Jack Robinson a chance.