Headlines from the world of education and schools work:
- Schools in affluent areas must do more to help poor pupils says Ed Balls: Schools in affluent areas must do more to raise the academic results of poor pupils.
- Children who dyed hair red for Comic Relief sent home from school: Two children who dyed their hair red as part of Comic Relief celebrations were sent home from a secondary school.
- Universities ‘must double annual fees to £6,500’: University vice-chancellors want to more than double student fees to £6,500 a year to protect teaching standards.
- Sevenyearolds ‘being lured into gangs’: Girls and boys as young as seven are being lured into gangs.
- Girls do better without boys, study finds: Girls are far more likely to thrive, get GCSEs and stay in education if they go to a single-sex school.