Stories from the world of education and schools work:
- Working mums fail to help with homework: Mothers who work full-time spend just three minutes a day alone with their sons helping them with homework, researchers have found.
- Schoolgirls could be allowed to swap skirts for trousers: Schools could be banned from forcing all girls to wear skirts because it may breach equality laws.
- Bringing up a child now tops £200,000, if you’re lucky…: The cost of bringing up a child has risen to more than £200,000 for the first time.
- Record numbers not in education, work or training: Almost 15% of young people are now ‘neets’, official figures show.
- Generation Y children are ‘harder to teach’: A culture of “instant gratification” is making today’s schoolchildren harder to teach, a headteachers’ leader said.
- Schools ‘push teen mothers to be dropouts’: Life chances of teenage mothers and their children threatened by barriers to education, Barnardo’s survey finds.
- Colleges cut bricklaying and plumbing courses to save cash: Colleges are preparing to axe courses and turn students away because of a £200m funding crisis, it was claimed today.