Interesting articles and headlins from the world of football:
- Football managers should have transfer fees
- Ferguson given age limit on major buys: No players aged 26 or over will be signed on major deals by Manchester United – a move which explains why Franck Ribéry and Kaka have not been on the club’s radar this summer and why Lyons’ Karim Benzema might be.
- Setanta loses Premier League TV rights: Irish pay-TV broadcaster Setanta loses the rights to show English Premier League football in 2009/10, after missing a payment deadline.
- Benitez admits Reds overpaid for Johnson: Benitez admitted he paid over the odds in the £17m deal for Glen Johnson but insisted new Champions League rules, which state sides must have eight home-grown players in their squads for all games, had forced his hand.
- Iran denies punishing players for wearing green wristbands: Head of Iran football federation denies punishing players for wearing green wristbands in show of support for opposition party.
- Burnley’s £15k per week salary cap bucks football’s freakonomics: In difficult financial times Burnley reminds us of the real world.
- Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis urges Premier League salary cap: He believes Premier League should consider salary cap in bid to achieve financial stability.
- Refs can abandon matches due to racism: Referees have been given the power to halt and even abandon matches in European competitions if there is racist chanting by fans.
- Owen set for United move in shock of the summer