Some funny and interesting headlines from around the world:
- Colombia keeper runs for mayor: Former Colombia goalkeeper, Rene “El Loco” Higuita, famous for his erratic exploits and inventing the “scorpion kick”, is to stand for political office.
- Rail ferret gets London-Edinburgh single ticket: A ferret is rescued from an Edinburgh railway station after apparently getting off a train from London.
- ‘Fake’ Mayan statue sold for $4m: A Mayan sculpture that fetched 2.9m euros ($4.2m, £2.5m) at a Paris auction is a fake, Mexican officials claim.
- Artificial clouds ‘to cool Qatar World Cup’: Scientists in Qatar develop artificial clouds to provide shade for stadiums and training grounds at the 2022 World Cup
- Defecating dog sparks US shootout: Two neighbours in the US state of Mississippi drew weapons and fired at each as an argument over a defecating dog escalated out of control.
- Aircraft carrier put up for auction online: The Ministry of Defence auction website is inviting bids for the Royal Navy’s former flagship, the aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal.
- ‘Spiderman’ scales Burj Khalifa in Dubai: Alain Robert, the French climber dubbed “Spiderman” for his feats, scales the world’s tallest building, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.
- Missing NYC cobra now ‘tweeting’: A tongue-in-cheek Twitter user giving ‘updates’ on a deadly Egyptian cobra missing from a New York zoo now has some 35,000 followers.