2. KEEP GROWING
Key: Seek after God in your own life
When discouragement and conflict comes, if you are growing you are ready to respond.
- Read – personal – I must read 12 books a year to keep my job
- Pray – for your students by name
- Reflect –
- Listen – to others. CYFM. Biggest ministry in the room. We never spoke out. We just listened.
- Write – I keep a blog. Keep a journal.
5. TAKE MORE RISKS
Key: The older you get, the greater chance the passion can die. Fuel it, don’t douse it.
- What are you willing to risk to be more than normal
- I’m challenged by leaders who get out of their chair and do something
- Adam Biesecker – Hobo5050 and his book
6. INVEST YOURSELF INTO ONE YOUNGER LEADER EACH YEAR
Key: The next generation depends on successful baton passing
- “We live in what may be one of the first generations in Western Civilization that is not intentionally preparing to pass its values to the next generation.” – Dr. Jeff Myers
- Do something each month to encourage, inspire, motivate, or equip
- Research shows that in every area of life, we are failing to pass the baton, from business (40% of senior management in Forbes 500 will retire by 2010 and half do not have a strategic plan to replace), politics, religion
- The next generation coming behind spends way more time consuming than producing. The self absorption will create a leadership vacuum.
8. OLD DOESN’T MEAN OUT
Key: Don’t leave just because you are old. Students really do like old people
- Have you ever heard students talk about them. “ahhhh. I want to be like…”
- There’s gold in your wisdom
- Vern, Horace Higginbotham, Mrs. Hamrick
10. DON’T FORGET YOUR STUDENTS THAT HAVE GRADUATED
Key: Your accountability may keep them in church
- 70% are leaving the church. One of the characteristics of those who stay are that they have caring mentors
- Your connection may be the last connection they have to the church
- Ask tough questions