Some headlines from the world of sport:
- Freak goal was ‘wrongly allowed’: Former FA Premier League referee Jeff Winter is “amazed” Sunderland’s winner against Liverpool, which deflected off a beach ball, was allowed to stand.
- Benitez stays defiant after loss: Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez remains in defiant mood, despite his side’s Champions League defeat by Lyon signalling their worst run for 22 years.
- Wenger ‘needs to win silverware’: Former Arsenal star Emmanuel Petit warns that Arsene Wenger must end the club’s four-year trophy drought this season or face a backlash.
- Chelsea hammer Blackburn to go top: Chelsea produce a superb attacking display to thrash Blackburn 5-0 and move top of the Premier League.
- West Ham in photo appeal to fans: West Ham issue photos of 67 supporters they want to identify after crowd trouble which marred their Carling Cup match against Millwall.