Some links from the world of sport…
- World Cup boost for David Beckham: David Beckham has enhanced chances of becoming first Englishman to play in four World Cups after timeshare deal.
- Lord Triesman calls for midseason break: Football Association chairman argued that players were less prone to injuries in leagues that have a break.
- Ashley Cole lets down Chelsea and football: Chelsea defender’s drunken display could cost him his place in England squad as well as Hiddink’s goodwill.
- Threat of bankruptcy haunts Hammers: A Reykjavik court will today decide if West Ham’s owner has more time to sell the club
- Liverpool ‘overpriced’ say Kuwaitis: American coowners suffer blow in efforts to sell club to Kuwaiti investment consortium.
- Taylor denies bust-up with Ronaldo: Steven Taylor has denied press reports that he and Cristiano Ronaldo had an angry confrontation in the players’ tunnel.
- ‘I will stay as long as they want me’: Following their ill-fated pursuit of Kaka, Manchester City have been linked with an audacious move for Messi and reports suggest that the Premier League side are preparing a £100m bid for the Argentina international.
- We can handle pressure – Ferguson: Sir Alex Ferguson says pressure would not affect Manchester United’s title run-in after their 2-1 win at Newcastle.