A few weeks ago we heard how a Teenager has stomach removed after drinking liquid nitrogen cocktail. Gaby Scanlon, from Lancashire, was celebrating her 18th birthday in a wine bar when she began to feel ill, becoming breathless and developing severe stomach pain.
She was taken to hospital where she was diagnosed with a perforated stomach. Surgeons operated immediately to save her life. Lancashire police said: “Medical opinion is that this would have proved fatal had the operation not been carried out urgently.”
Police said the bar had ceased selling all liquid nitrogen cocktails following the incident and had co-operated with all the agencies. The investigation is in its early stages and officers are still interviewing witnesses to establish the facts.
Liquid nitrogen, which boils at -196C, has become common as a method for flash freezing food or drinks and creating a dramatic vapour cloud by chefs like Heston Blumenthal. It is stored and transported in vacuum flasks. It can cause severe internal damage if it is ingested.
“I’d been warned by the barman the drink might make me a bit gassy, so I didn’t think too much of it, but then my stomach started to expand and I felt sick. Soon I was doubled up with pain. People were asking me if I was all right, but I couldn’t say anything because my stomach hurt so much.
The liquid nitrogen didn’t add anything to the taste. It was just a gimmick. I probably would never have drunk that shot if it hadn’t looked exciting. The first drink didn’t seem to affect me at all, or my friends, but within seconds of drinking the second one, I felt instant pain.
I feel angry that these theatrical cocktails seem to be aimed at younger people, especially 18-year-olds who are just legally able to drink and want to go out and try these things, but it’s not worth it. I try to stay strong. I’m an optimistic person. It could have been much worse and I’m very grateful to be alive, but it should never have happened in the first place.”