Some links from the world of youth work and youth ministry:
- Tanaholics: Sunbed sessions are now ‘as addictive as alcohol or drug abuse’: Researchers claim that such tanning leads to behaviour on a par with alcohol or drug abuse. They said heavy users may even need help from mental health specialists to kick the habit.
- President Obama cautions grads against “iPods and iPads and Xboxes”: as technology that becomes “a diversion… rather than a tool of empowerment.”
- Young ‘like fruit to look good’: Making fruit look good holds the key to getting children to eat more of it, a study suggests.
- Why teenagers can’t concentrate: too much grey matter: New research has found that teenagers’ brains continue developing far longer into adulthood than previously thought. Adolescents may look like young adults but their brain structure resembles that of much younger children, according to the study to be published in the Journal of Neuroscience.
- 9 in 10 children are mobile phone owners: Almost nine-in-10 pupils now have a mobile compared with fewer than three-quarters who have their own books in the home.
- How to Handle Discipline in Your Small Group: Josh writes a post with some great tips for youth small group leaders.
- Other than books developed specifically for youth workers, what kind of books should a youth worker be reading on a regular basis?: Some great thoughts on books you could be reading.
- The Middle 70%: What about that middle 70%? Who’s investing in them? They aren’t as high maintenance or shiny as the other 30% but they’re probably the majority of your kids.